Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hilary Duff speaks about herself

Go through the interview

"I'm just one little person with so much money.
I've got so much it's scary. It's amazing to think that I can take care of myself financially, as well as everyone around me. That's a really nice feeling.

The car I want is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. But my business manager doesn't want me to buy it – he says that I'm a terrible driver and don't need that kind of car.

I love cars, but I'm trying to scale down, because you don't need more than one.

It's excessive. At the moment I have a white Range Rover, and I used to have a Mercedes SL500. I care about the environment, but I wouldn't buy a hybrid car.

The other day I had a little accident because I was driving while I was on the phone. It was just a tap, nothing serious, so I thought, I'll keep going, it's fine, whatever.
But my business manager told me, 'You have to be careful, because people will sue you.'

So I need to be cautious without stressing myself out.
It's hard to imagine going more than 72 hours without shopping. Because I work all the time, when I get the chance to shop I go crazy. If you don't get excited when you get new things, then what's it all worth?
I have 50 bags and ten watches.

I was just in Chicago and bought a Louis Vuitton bag for $1,400 and bought my sister one, too. I did a little dance.
I've got a rose-gold Jacob watch and a Rolex that I got in Germany, black with a rose-gold starburst face.
I think it cost $11,000. Both my houses are in LA.
The one I live in is a big Spanish six-bedroom house with an Olympic-size swimming pool. My mum lives in the other one.

Also, my sister and I own land in Texas – it just sits and makes money, I think. I don't know too much about it.
The most extravagant thing I've done is rent a huge jet to fly my family back to LA from Texas.

Haylie and my mother and I got on to this beautiful plane, and we couldn't believe we had created this lifestyle, with our dogs running around the plane and champagne and great food and chocolates.

My mum said, 'Look at our lives', and we cried. It's sad what girls like Paris, Britney and Lindsay go through.
I feel for them. I am so lucky that I am somewhat sane.
That's not a judgment. It's easy for me to say, 'Look, she shaved her head, she can't get her life together, she's a mess.'

But when you have 75 paparazzi outside your house every day, it's horrible. It was right that Paris Hilton went to jail.
It was horrible that she had to go through that, but so many of the people I grew up with in Texas have gone to jail for drinking and driving, so why shouldn't she?
I don't want to go down the same road as Lindsay Lohan.
I can't say why she ended up in rehab and why that scene interests her.

I focus on my work. I don't mix with people who take drugs and don't go out clubbing and partying all the time.

Lindsay and I fell out when we were 13. We didn't like each other because we were dating the same guy – pop star Aaron Carter.

How was I supposed to know he was dating her, too?
But she was angry because she thought I had stolen her boyfriend. Now we are fine. We see each other, but we are into different things.

My dad is a stranger to me. When my parents split up last year, it hit me like a brick in the face. Usually, parents get divorced when you are young, but mine were together while I was growing up, so I thought it would never happen.

For some reason, I was embarrassed that my family wasn't perfect and that some woman had broken it up. I don't talk to my dad at all. I love him and hopefully some day we will have a relationship, but we probably won't for a long time.
What does anyone go through when they find out their dad has a totally different life with a different woman and has never really cared about you?

That's pretty hard to deal with. So last year was tough for my mum, my sister and me. We were always really close, but now I think we are closer, and we are at peace with everything. But for a while it devastated every part of my world. He hasn't tried to have a relationship with Haylie and I since it happened. I wrote about my parents' divorce.

When we found out that my dad was being unfaithful, I imagined what it would be like for me to be in my mum's situation.

My new single Stranger and the song Gypsy Woman are about my parents' divorce, not about my break-up.
Guitar music is my favourite. For years now I've listened to Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt, Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette and anything by Morrissey, especially Suedehead.

I'm obsessed with The Cure and I've downloaded all their songs on iTunes.

Joel [Madden] was my first love, but I feel happier now we've split. I didn't leave Joel to be with someone else.
I felt like I needed to be myself for a while. But I felt disrespected when he went off with Nicole Richie, because he moved on to another girl so quickly.

I've been on lots of dates, but I haven't met anyone I like – isn't that crazy? I work so hard and there's no time.

The last thing I want to do is jump into a relationship that's as serious as my last one was at my age. But I still want the cookie-cutter American dream: to get married and have kids and a house with a white picket fence.

The rumours that I'm dating Frankie Delgado [a club promoter] aren't true; we're good friends.

I wouldn't make the first move with a guy. I get really shy.
I asked my friend to help me and teach me how it's done, so she saw a guy walking down Sunset Boulevard who was cute and shouted, 'Hey, I want to talk to you.'

They ended up getting married, but I could never, ever do that. My taste in men is really weird.

Everyone thinks I like older rocker guys with tattoos, like Joel, but it's not true.

I like older men. I think actor Ryan Reynolds is really cute, and so is Christian Bale, but he's married. I have the biggest crush on John Cusack. We became close friends making War, Inc. We were stuck in Bulgaria forever and played board games all night. And we like a lot of the same music. We would be constantly burning CDs for each other, going, 'You've got to listen to this!' He suggested a lot of old artists like John Lennon, Bob Dylan and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

For my new film I play an overtly sexual East European pop star. She is bitchy and horrible to everyone around her. It's a really twisted satire. My character is attracted to anything and everything and throws herself at John Cusack, but he's not into it.

Some wouldn't, but I enjoy the business side of my work.
It's so funny that people think I'm a mogul or a brand, but it's true, I know a lot about running a business. I like to know exactly where my money is going. I love luxury.
I go to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico for weekends a lot and to a beautiful spa in Santa Barbara called Bacara.
But sometimes my friends and I slum it and hang out at the beach in Malibu and rent a motel.

All the same, I want a normal life. I want to be able to ride my bike in my neighbourhood and walk to my favourite coffee shop and not have craziness round me all the time.
I like a glass of wine and I'll have champagne, but I don't get drunk. I go home and cut roses; that's exciting enough for me.
Courtesy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/live/live.html?in_article_id=476087&in_page_id=1889

No comments: